As we all know in this era of cut-throat competition, securing a good rank is not an easy task, It requires continuous efforts and preparation. In all of the competitive examinations, there is a total weightage of about 20-30% of Current Affairs in the General Knowledge/General Awareness section. We are here to help you to tackle these questions easily. We are providing you with the best current affairs that are helpful not only to secure good marks but also to improve your general knowledge. So here is the Current Affairs capsule for the January month.
1. Arunima Sinha becomes world’s 1st female amputee to scale Antarctica’s highest peak
- Arunima Sinha, the first female amputee to have conquered Mt Everest has now created another record as she became world’s first woman amputee to climb Mount Vinson,the highest peak in Antarctica.
- Sinha is a national level volleyball player who had one of her legs amputated in 2011 after she was pushed from a running train by dacoits she had resisted.
- A Padmashri awardee, Sinha had earlier scaled five peaks including Mt Everest, Mt Kilimanjaro, Mt Ebrus, Mt Kosciuszko and Mt Aconcagua.
2. Minister launches 100 Ujjwala sanitary napkin units in Odisha
- Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launches Ujjwala sanitary napkins missio
- Dharmendra Pradhan said 100 manufacturing units will be set up at Common Service Centres (CSCs) covering 93 blocks in the State at an estimated cost of Rs 2.94 crore.
- The objective of the mission is to educate women on female hygiene and health.
- According to National Family Health Survey (NFHS) report, only 33.5% of women of the State have access to proper hygienic methods of protection during menstruation.
3. Veteran actor-writer Kader Khan passes away
- Veteran actor-writer Kader Khan passed away in Canada at the age of 81.
- Kader Khan is a famous and well respected Indian film actor, comedian, script and dialogue writer as well as a Director.
- He wrote dialogues for over 250 movies
- He was born on 22 October 1935 in Kabul, Afghanistan and is the son of Abdul Rehman and Iqbal Begum.
- He claims to be of Kakar tribe of the Pashtuns.
4. RBI forms expert panel on MSMEs under Ex-SEBI chief UK Sinha
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) set up an expert committee under former Sebi chairman U.K. Sinha to suggest long-term solutions for the economic and financial sustainability of the MSME sector.
- The eight-member committee under former Sebi chairman U.K. Sinha will examine the factors affecting the timely and adequate availability of finance to the MSME sector.
5. Important Cabinet approvals
(The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given the following set of approvals)
- First-ever three-way merger in Indian Banking with amalgamation of Vijaya, Dena and Bank of Baroda.
- The Constitution (Scheduled Tribes) Order (Amendment) Bill, 2018’ for revision in list of Scheduled Tribes of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Apprised of MoU between India and Morocco on Cooperation in the area of Cyber Security.
- Restructuring of National Health Agency as “National Health Authority” for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana
- Apprised of Progress under NHM and Decisions of Empowered Programme Committee and Mission Steering Group of NHM.
- Allows inclusion of merchant exporters under Interest Equalisation Scheme (1ES)for Pre and Post Shipment Rupee Export Credit.
- High-level committee to implement Clause 6 of Assam Accord Several Longstanding demands of Bodos also approved.
- Proposal to allot land to Chandigarh Housing Board for construction of apartments for 3930 allottees under Self-Financing Housing Scheme for UT Employees.
- Amendment to the Trade Unions Act, 1926 to make provisions regarding Recognition of Trade Unions.
- Ex post facto approval to India’s Approach for COP 24, Katowice, Poland (2-15 December 2018).
- Continuation of Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram Scheme for the Period 2017-18 to 2019-2020.
- Continuation of Umbrella scheme for “Family Welfare and Other Health Interventions” during 2017-18 to 2019-20.
6. Allahabad Bank, SBI Life join hand for Bancassurance partnership
- Allahabad Bank and SBI Life Insurance came together and signed a bancassurance pact, to offer a holistic financial planning solution to consumers.
- The MD and CEO of Allahabad Bank is S. S. Mallikarjuna Rao & MD and CEO of SBI is Sanjeev Nautiya.
- The tie-up, one of the largest Bancassurance partnerships in the country, will see 3,238 branches of Allahabad Bank across the country offer SBI Life’s range of protection, wealth creation, and savings products to its customers.
- This will empower the consumer to address their complete financial needs under one roof.
- The agreement was signed in the presence of Allahabad Bank Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mallikarjuna Rao and SBI Life MD & CEO Sanjeev Nautiyal.
7. 100% houses in 25 states electrified under Saubhagya Yojana
- The country achieved yet another milestone in the power sector with the completion of electrification in 100% households in 25 states at year end
- Now, only about 10.48 lakh households are left to be electrified in 4 states – Assam, Rajasthan, Meghalaya and Chhattisgarh.
- The central government launched ‘Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana’ in September 2017 to achieve the goal of universal household electrification in the country by 31 March, 2019.
8. West Bengal government announced 2 initiatives for farmers
- The West Bengal government announced two welfare initiatives for farmers.
- Both initiatives, which are part of the ‘Krishi Krishak Bondhu’ scheme, will come into effect from 1st January 2019.
- The 1st initiative will provide Rs 2 lakh to the family of a deceased farmer
- The second initiative, farmers would get Rs 2,500 twice a year for growing a single crop on one acre of land.
9. Jasprit Bumrah becomes highest International wicket-taker in 2018
- Jasprit Bumrah led the Indian cricket team to a historic victory in the Boxing Day Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
- In India's 137-run victory, Bumrah was chosen the Man of the Match for his nine wickets.
- Bumrah surpassed South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada’s tally of 77 wickets to reach the milestone.
- While on the third position is Bumrah’s countryman Kuldeep Yadav who took 76 scalp.
10. RBI lifts six month ban from Paytm Payments Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has allowed Paytm Payments Bank to restart opening new accounts for its consumers after almost six months of the ban.
- Satish Kumar Gupta is the managing director and CEO of the Paytm Payments bank.
- Paytm Payments Bank stopped enrolling new customers in June 2018, following an audit by the RBI, which made certain observations about the process the company follows in acquiring new customers and its adherence to know-your-customer (KYC) norms.
11. V K Yadav assumes charge of new railway board chairman
- Vinod K. Yadav, General Manager of South Central Railway (SCR), took charge of his new responsibility as Chairman on 1st january, Railway Board
- He has been appointed the national transporter’s senior-most bureaucrat by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- Yadav belongs to the 1980 batch of the Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers.
12. Centre approves Rs 1,146.12 cr Cyclone ‘Gaja’ assistance for Tamil Nadu
- The High-Level Committee (HLC) chaired by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh approved additional assistance of Rs 1,146.12 crore from the National Disaster Response Fund (NDRF) to Tamil Nadu, which was affected by cyclone ‘Gaja’ recently.
- The Central government had released assistance of Rs 353.70 crore from the State Disaster Response Fund (SDRF) as an interim relief to the state.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, Union Minister for Agriculture Radha Mohan Singh and Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog Dr Rajiv Kumar are the members of the HLC.
13. Qatar withdraws from OPEC
- Qatar has withdrawn its membership from Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC).
- The country had sent an official notification to the OPEC expressing its wish to pull out and to focus on its liquefied natural gas production in December.
- Qatar has been in OPEC for 57 years.
- The decision came amid the ongoing diplomatic and economic blockade imposed on the country by its Persian Gulf neighbours and several Arab states.
14. ICICI Bank, SBFC joined hands to provide loans worth Rs. 1 Crore to MSMEs for 15-year tenure
- ICICI Bank, in a first-of-its-kind programme, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Small Business FinCredit India Pvt. Ltd. (SBFC), a systemically important Non-Banking Finance Company for entrepreneurs.
- That is to jointly provide credit worth up to Rs 1 crore to MSMEs for a tenure of 15 years.
- Under this arrangement, ICICI Bank will co-originate loan against property with SBFC at a mutually agreed ratio.
15. Cabinet approves merger of Vijaya Bank & Dena Bank with Bank of Baroda
- The cabinet has approved the merger of Vijaya Bank & Dena Bank with Bank of Baroda.
- After this merger, Bank of Baroda will become the third biggest public sector bank.
- The merger will be effective from April 1.
- This is also the first ever three-way merger in Indian banking.
- Bank of Baroda (BoB) finalised the share swap ratio for the merger of Vijaya Bank and Dena Bank with itself.
- As per the Scheme of Amalgamation, shareholders of Vijaya Bank will get 402 equity shares of BoB for every 1,000 shares held.
- In case of Dena Bank, its shareholders will get 110 shares for every 1,000 shares of BoB.
16. 6 Monuments declared of national importance in 2018 by ASI
- The Ministry of Culture announced that Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) declared 6 monuments as ‘protected and of national importance’ under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Sites and Remains Act, 1958, in 2018.
- They are:
- The Group of Temples in Ranipur Jharail in Bolangir district of Odisha,
- 2 Mughal era monuments in Agra- Haveli of Agha Khan and Hathi Khana,
- The Neemrana Baori in Alwar district of Rajasthan,
- The Vishnu Temple in Kotali, Pithoragarh district in Uttarakhand.
- 125-year-old Old High Court Building in Nagpur, Maharashtra,
17. Government launches ‘Swachh Survekshan 2019’
- Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister, Hardeep Singh Puri, launched the ‘Swachh Survekshan 2019’.
- It is the fourth edition of the annual nationwide cleanliness survey of urban India in New Delhi.
- The Swachh Survekshan 2019 aims to evaluate the achievements in the cleanliness level in urban areas of the country.
- It is launched as a part of ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’.
18. Government launched Web- Wonder Women campaign
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India has launched an online campaign Web- Wonder Women.
- It is to discover and celebrate the exceptional achievements of women, who have been driving positive agenda of social change via social media.
- The Campaign has been launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development, Government of India in association with the NGO Breakthrough and Twitter.
- The Campaign aims to recognize the fortitude of Indian women stalwarts from across the globe who have used the power of social media to run positive campaigns to steer a change in society.
19. National Youth Day: 12 January
- National Youth Day is celebrated on 12 January being the birthday of Swami Vivekananda.
- In 1984 the Government of India declared the day as National Youth Day and since 1985 the event is celebrated in India every year.
- Vivekananda died at the young age of 39, attaining Mahasamadhi in 1902.
20. Alok Verma reinstated as CBI chief by supreme court
- The Supreme Court reinstated Alok Verma as director of the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), setting aside the Centre's decision to send him on leave before the end of his term in January this year.
- Alok Verma and his deputy Rakesh Asthana were both sent on leave in October amid a bitter feud between the CBI's top two.
- Supreme Court strikes down CBI Chief Alok Vermas’ removal. However, at present, Alok Verma cannot take any major policy decisions.
- Supreme Court stated that the High Power Committee under the DSPE Act needs to act within a week to consider Alok Verma's case.
21. India allows Iran’s Bank pasargad to open branch in Mumbai
- India has allowed an Iranian bank to open a branch in Mumbai.
- Iran’s Pasargad Bank has received the necessary clearances to open its branch in Mumbai. Alongside, India’s UCO Bank will open a branch in Iran.
- The bank will open its branch in the next three months, shipping, roads and highways minister Gadkari said after a meeting with Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif.
22. Jim Yong Kim resigns as President of the World Bank
- World Bank President, Jim Yong Kim has made the surprise announcement that he is stepping down after six years in the post.
- His resignation will take effect from 1 February.
- Mr. Kim, 59, was not due to leave until 2022 after he was re-elected for a second five-year term in 2017.
- The World Bank stated that he will join a firm and focus on increasing infrastructure investments in developing countries.
23. Syndicate Bank and SBI Life Insurance signed bancassurance pact
- Syndicate Bank and SBI Life Insurance signed a bancassurance pact aiming to offer a comprehensive financial planning solution to its customers.
- The pact was signed between Syndicate Bank MD & CEO, Mrutyunjay Mahapatra and MD and CEO of SBI Life, Sanjeev Nautiyal.
- Through the pact, Syndicate Bank will provide penetration in the market with its 3,000 branches and SBI Life’s diverse range of protection, wealth creation and savings insurance products will be brought to the table to the customers.
24. Mohamed Salah named African Footballer of the year
- Liverpool striker Mohamed Salah has been voted BBC African Footballer of the Year for the second year in a row.
- He was named the Premier League’s Player of the Season in 2017/18, and has so far scored 13 times in 23 games of the current campaign.
- He received the award at a ceremony in Senegal.
- Salah scored 44 goals for Liverpool during the 2017-18 season, helping the Reds to the Champions League final before scoring twice for Egypt at the World Cup in Russia.
25. Kumar Rajesh Chandra appointed as Director-General of SSB
- The appointment of Kumar Rajesh Chandra as the Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) has been approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet.
- As per the notification, he would continue in the post up to 31st dec 2021 , it is also the date of his retirement on superannuation or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
- Kumar Rajesh Chandra is a 1985 batch IPS officer of the Bihar cadre.
26. Sheikh Hasina sworn-in as Bangladesh PM for 4th term
- Sheikh Hasina sworn-in as the Bangladesh Prime Minister for the fourth term.
- It is her third consecutive term after her victory in the 11th Parliamentary elections.
- Hasina, 71, was sworn in along with her new 47-member Cabinet before President Abdul Hamid at his official residence in Dhaka.
- Her ruling Awami League party and its allies won the polls by a landslide, securing 288 seats in the 300-seat Parliament.
- This is the first time Hasina is forming a cabinet with the members of her own party.
27. Golden Globe Awards 2019 Announced: complete list of winners
List of winners in Motion Picture Category:
- Best Motion Picture Drama - Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best Motion Picture Musical/Comedy - Green Book
- Best Actor in Motion Picture or Musical or Comedy - Christian Bale (Vice)
- Green Book - Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Motion Picture - Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
- Best Actress in Motion Picture-Drama - Glen Close (The Wife)
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Motion Picture - Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
- Best Original Song – Motion Picture - Shallow (Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt) – Star Is Born, A (2018)
- Best Actor in Motion Picture-Drama - Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
- Best Screenplay–Motion Picture - Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly (Green Book)
- Best Actress in Motion Picture Musical/Comedy - Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
- Best Motion Picture–Animated - Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
- Best Motion Picture–Foreign Language - Roma (Mexico, Alfonso Cuaron)
- Best Original Score–Motion Picture - Justin Hurwitz (First Man)
- List of winners in Television Category:
- Best Actor in Supporting Role in Limited Series/Motion Picture made for Television - Ben Whishaw (A Very English Scandal)
- Best Actor in Television Series–Musical/Comedy - Michael Douglas (The Kominsky Method)
- Best Television Series, Drama - The Americans
- Best Actress in Supporting Role in Limited Series/Motion Picture made for Television - Patricia Clarkson (Sharp Objects)
- Best Television Series–Musical/ Comedy - The Kominsky Method
- Best Television Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television - Assassination of Gianni Versace: The American Crime Story
- Best Actress in Television Series–Musical/Comedy - Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel)
- Best Actress in Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television - Patricia Arquette (Escape at Dannemora)
- Best Actor in Television Series–Drama - Richard Madden (Bodyguard)
- Best Actress in Television Series–Drama - Sandra Oh (Killing Eve)
- Best Actor in Limited Series/ Motion Picture made for Television -Darren Criss (Assassination of Gianni Versace: The American Crime Story)
28. Rajya Sabha passes Reservation Bill granting 10% quota for upper caste EWS
- The 124th Constitution Amendment Bill, 2019 to award 10% reservation to economically weaker sections was passed with a majority in Rajya Sabha.
- It was already passed in Lok Sabha.
- After 10-hour-long debate, most of the members in the Upper House of the Parliament agreed to go ahead with the bill despite opposition from some parties.
- The Bill has passed the Rajya Sabha test with 165 ‘Yes’ and 7 ‘No’ votes.
- This was brought to the Upper House after the sitting of the House was extended by a day.
29. 2nd Edition of Khelo India Youth Games begins in Pune
- Maharashtra to host 2nd edition of Khelo India Youth Games
- More than 9000 players from different states will participate in 18 different games at Khelo India Youth Games.
- Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore and Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis attended a virtual torch ceremony at the Shree Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the event through a video message.
30. MoU signed between Indian Army and PNB
- On 08 Jan 2019, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Indian Army and PNB on the Defence Salary Package.
- The signing ceremony was chaired by the Adjutant General, Lt Gen Ashwani Kumar and was attended by top dignitaries of PNB headed by Mr Naveen Kumar.
- Salient features of the improved and updated MoU are free ‘RAKSHAK PLUS’ Scheme for serving pers and veterans, overdraft facility range from Rs 0.75 to 3.0 lakhs, multicity ‘At Par’ cheques, instant credit of outstation cheques, preferential allotment of lockers at concessional AMC and free SMS alerts.
31. Polavaram project enters Guinness Book of World record for concrete pouring
- The Polavaram project entered the Guinness Book of World by pouring 32,100 cubic metres of concrete in a matter of 24 hours.
- The entire event was witnessed by the representatives of Guinness Book of World Record with the help of drone cameras.
- The previous Guinness record of 21,580 cubic metres was achieved by Abdul Wahed Bin Shabib, RALS Contracting LLC and Alfa Eng. Consultant (all UAE), in Dubai from May 18 to May 20 in 2017.
32. Indian Army Day: 15 January
- Army Day is observed on January 15 in India. On this day in 1949, Field Marshal Kodandera M Cariappa took over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief.
- Army day is dedicated to the soldiers who fought to safeguard the country’s honour.
- This is the 71st celebration of the Indian Army Day.
33. Chennai’s Gukesh crowned India’s youngest grandmaster
- Chennai's D Gukesh on Tuesday became the second youngest Grandmaster in the world and the youngest Indian to achieve the feat at 12 years, seven months and 17 days.
- Gukesh became India’s 59th Grand Master. Ukraine’s Sergey Karjakin remains the youngest-ever GM
- Gukesh beat the mark set by his state-mate R Praggnanandhaa. Ukraine's Sergey Karjakin remains the youngest-ever Grand Master, achieving the feat in 2002 aged 12 years and seven months.
34. GDP to be a Tad higher to 7.5% in FY20: India ratings
- India Ratings and Research (Ind-Ra), a Fitch Group Company, estimated India’s GDP growth could touch 7.5 % in the financial year 2019-20 as against 7.2 % during current fiscal i.e. 2018-19.
- India Ratings believes investments are slowly but steadily gaining traction with gross fixed capital formation growing 12.2 % in FY19 and projected to clock 10.3 % in FY20.
35. Khelo India Youth games concludes: Maharashtra tops medal tally
- Maharashtra topped the medal tally with 37 golds at the Khelo India Youth Games in Pune.
- It has 111 medals in its kitty with 37 gold, 31 silver and 43 bronze.
- Delhi continues to follow second with 35 gold and Haryana too maintains its third position with 29 gold.
- Delhi and Haryana are close on the heels of Maharashtra in medals race.
- Delhi’s judokas and swimmers and Haryana’s wrestlers helped them close the gap.
- Tamil Nadu long jumper Sherin Gafoor finally breached the six-metre mark in long jump to clinch gold.
- Uttar Pradesh won three gold in track and field competitions yesterday.
- West Bengal gymnasts excelled in their respective categories while Tripura got its first gold in artistic gymnastics.
36. Japan launches satellite for world’s 1st artificial meteor shower
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency has launched Tokyo-based startup Star-ALE’s mini-satellite aimed to deliver the world’s first artificial meteor shower.
- The satellite carries 400 tiny balls, will be enough for 20-30 events, that will glow as they rush down the atmosphere on being released.
- ALE plans to deliver its first show in Hiroshima in early 2020.
37. PM Narendra Modi launches National Museum of Indian Cinema in Mumbai
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Museum of Indian Cinema in Mumbai
- The development of the Museum was guided by the Museum Advisory Committee headed by Shyam Benegal. .
- The inauguration ceremony was attended by a host of Bollywood stars including veteran actor Manoj Kumar, Aamir Khan, Kangana Ranaut, filmmaker Karan Johar, Simmba director Rohit Shetty and Zero director Aanand L Rai.
- An innovation Committee headed by Prasoon Joshi provided an upgrade to the NMIC.
- Built at a cost of Rs 140.61 crore, the museum depicts the journey of over a century of Indian cinema in a story telling mode with the help of visuals, graphics, artifacts, interactive exhibits and multimedia expositions.
38. Suresh Prabhu inaugurates 10th edition of India Rubber Expo 2019
- Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Suresh Prabhu inaugurated the 10th edition of the India Rubber Expo – 2019 in Mumbai.
- The three-day event being held at the Bombay Exhibition Centre is one of the most anticipated events in the rubber industry’s calendar.
39. India’s Satyarup became world’s youngest mountaineer to climb 7 peaks, 7 volcano Summits
- Indian mountaineer Satyarup Siddhanta on January 16, 2019 became the world’s youngest mountaineer to climb the seven highest peaks and volcanic summits across all continents after conquering Antartica's highest point Mount Sidley
- Satyarup summited Mt. Sidley at 6:28 am in the morning, at a temperature of minus 40 degree Celsius according to the inReach Satellite Communicator he was carrying.
- He achieved the feat at the age of 35 years and 262 days.
- Satyarup hails from South Kolkata and is a software engineer by profession.
40. MP CM launches Rs 50,000 cr farm loan waiver scheme ‘Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana’
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister claunched his government’s Rs 50,000-crore farm debt-waiver scheme named ‘Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana’.
- It is expected to benefit 55 lakh small and marginal farmers.
- The eligibility cut-off date has been extended to December 12, 2018, from March 31, 2018.
- Only those farmers who have not registered themselves to pay GST and income tax can avail benefits under this scheme.
41. 9th International Micro irrigation conference held in Aurangabad
- In order to promote Micro irrigation amongst farmers, Ministry of Water resources and River development has organized 9th International Micro irrigation conference in Aurangabad, Maharashtra.
- The conference focused on the theme of “Micro Irrigation and Modern Agriculture”. Union Minister for water resources and river development Shri Nitin Gadkari officially inaugurated the event.
42. India-Myanmar joint training exercise begins in Chandimandir
- The second edition of the India-Myanmar bilateral army exercise, IMBEX 2018-19, commenced at Chandimandir Military Station, that houses the headquarters of the Western Command, Chandigarh.
- The aim of this joint training programme, spread over six days, is to train the Myanmar delegation for participation in United Nations peacekeeping operations under the UN flag.
- The exercise includes the participation of 15 officers from Myanmar Army and 15 officers from the Indian Army.
43. Vinesh Phogat becomes first Indian athlete to be nominated for Laureus World Sports Awards
- Ace Indian female wrestler Vinesh Phogat became the first Indian athlete to receive a nomination in the prestigious Laureus World Comeback of the Year Award.
- She has been nominated alongside US Tour Championship winner Tiger Woods, who won his first tournament in five years.
- The 24-year-old Vinesh from Haryana made a sensational comeback after battling a long injury lay-off to win a gold medal at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games and Jakarta Asian Games.
44. Gandhi Peace prize conferred for last 4 years
- For 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari for their contribution in Rural Development, Education , Development of natural resources.
- For 2016: Jointly to Akshaya Patra Foundation for its contribution in providing mid-day meals to millions of children across India and Sulabh International for its contribution in improving the condition of sanitation in India and emancipation of manual scavengers.
- For 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust for their contribution in providing Education for Rural and Tribal Children in remote areas pan India, Rural Empowerment, Gender and Social Equality.
- For 2018: Shri Yohei Sasakawa for his contribution in Leprosy Eradication in India and across the world.
- The jury under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and comprising the Chief Justice of India, Justice Ranjan Gogoi, Speaker of Lok Sabha Smt. Sumitra Mahajan etc.
45. India’s 1st CWG Boxing gold-medallist Mohammed Ali Qamar appointed women’s team coach
- Mohammed Ali Qamar, the man who won India’s first Commonwealth Games gold medal in boxing, has taken over as the chief coach for the country’s female boxers.
- He has replaced veteran Shiv Singh. Qamar, who is set to turn 38, is also the youngest person to land the job.
- Qamar’s CWG gold came in the 2002 Manchester edition in the light flyweight category.
46. Ananth Narayanan steps down as Myntra-Jabong CEO
- Ananth Narayanan has stepped down as CEO of Myntra and Jabong to pursue external opportunities.
- Amar Nagaram has been named as Head, Myntra and Jabong, reporting to Kalyan Krishnamurthy, CEO of Flipkart Group.
- Amar, who recently moved to Myntra from Flipkart, has been with the group for around seven years and has played a pivotal role in making shopping accessible and affordable on connected devices.
47. Manu Sawhney appointed new ICC CEO
- Manu Sawhney to replace David Richardson who will step down as the CEO of the International Cricket Council after the 2019 World Cup in England and Wales.
- Manu Sawhney replaces David Richardson as the new CEO of ICC
- Richardson's contract expires at the end of 2019 World Cup in England and Wales
- Sawhney was with ESPN Star Sports for 17 years
48. Sikkim CM launched ‘One Family, One Job’ scheme
- 'One Family, One Job' scheme that envisions jobs to a member of every family which does not have a government job in the state.
- Chamling's Sikkim Democratic font government has announced that 20,000 youths would immediately be given temporary jobs under the scheme.
- New recruits were taken for Group C and Group D posts in 12 departments.
- Thus, Sikkim became the first state in the country to carry out such a programme for the people entitling them to state government employee benefits.
- He also declared that all loan debts in the farming and agriculture sector would be revoked.
49. MP CM launches Rs 50,000cr farm loan waiver scheme ‘Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana’
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath launched his government’s Rs 50,000-crore farm debt-waiver scheme named ‘Jai Kisan Rin Mukti Yojana’.
- It is expected to benefit 55 lakh small and marginal farmers.
- The eligibility cut-off date has been extended to December 12, 2018, from March 31, 2018.
- Only those farmers who have not registered themselves to pay GST and income tax can avail benefits under this scheme.
Q1. Who won India’s first Commonwealth Games gold medal in boxing?
Mohammed Ali Qamar
Vikas Krishan Yadav
Q2. Who crowned as India’s youngest grandmaster?
D K Sharma
Q3. Who is the current CEO of the International Cricket Council?
Q4. Army Day is celebrated every year on?
Q5. Who is the CM of Madhya Pradesh?
Trivendra Singh Rawat
Nara Chandrababu Naidu