Efforts are something that makes a difference between dreamers and achievers. But these efforts are waste without proper guidance. So here we are. Ekagra Academy is the best coaching institute that provides proper guidance and the way to succeed in various examinations like BBA, BCA, SSC, Bank PO, Railways etc. We are also providing you with the latest current affairs that will help you to boost your preparation. These Current Affairs are filtered from various news articles to target competitive examinations by our experts. So here is the Current Affairs capsule for the January month.
1. Ankita Raina won ITF’s tournament in Singapore.
- India's Ankita Raina has won the International Tennis Federation's 25,000-dollar Women's tournament in Singapore.
- Ankita defeated top seed and world number 122 Arantxa Rus of the Netherlands, 6-3, 6-2.
- She toppled four seeded players in the tournament to win her first title of the season and eighth overall.
- Ankita came into the tournament after competing at the Qualifiers of the ongoing Australian Open.
2.National Girl Child Day: 24 January
- National Girl Child Day is celebrated in India on 24 January.
- Women and Child Development Ministry celebrated the National Girl Child Day 2019 at Pravasi Bharti Kendra, New Delhi.
- The programme also observed the anniversary of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme.
- The theme of National Girl Child Day 2019 was “Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow” .
- A booklet on “Innovations under BBBP” will also be released on the occasion.
3.National Voters Day: 25 January
- 25 January is celebrated every year as National Voters Day to spread awareness about the necessity of voting and to encourage young generation towards the voting rights.
- 25th January is the foundation day of the Election Commission of India (ECI) which came into existence in 1950.
- This day was first celebrated in 2011 to encourage as much as young voters to take part in the electoral process.
- This is the ninth year of celebrating National Voters Day.
- National Voters Day Theme 2019 is “No Voter to be left behind”
4. Republic Day : 26 January
- Republic day 2019 in India is being celebrated on 26th of January.
- In 2019, India is celebrating its 70th Republic Day.
- First Republic Day of India was celebrated in 1950.
- ‘‘Matamela Cyril Ramaphosa“, the fifth and current President of South Africa is the Chief Guest of Republic Day of India 2019.
5.IndiGo appoints Ronojoy Dutta as new CEO
- IndiGo owner InterGlobe Aviation has appointed Ronojoy Dutta as the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the company with immediate effect.
- Ronojoy Dutta will remain as the company CEO for the next five years.
- Ronojoy Dutta, 67, has done BS Mechanical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology and MBA from Harvard Business School.
- He was a co-founder and Managing Director of ACO Investment, renowned investment advisory firm in the field of aviation and infrastructure.
6.Ravneet Gill to replace Rana Kapoor as Yes Bank MD and CEO
- Yes Bank has appointed veteran banker Ravneet Singh Gill as its new MD & CEO and the lender has also received the RBI’s approval for the same.
- He will join the bank on or before March 1, 2019.
- Mr Gill is currently the chief of Deutsche Bank’s India operations.
- Gill joined Deutsche Bank in 1991 and has worked across different businesses including corporate banking, capital markets and wealth management.
7.India and JICA sign loan agreements on loan to India
- The Loan Agreements were signed in New Delhi between the Government of India and JICA, New Delhi under Japanese Official Development Assistance Loan Program.
- The Loan Agreements were signed by Dr. C.S. Mohapatra, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, Government of India and Mr. Katsuo Matsumoto, Chief Representative, JICA, New Delhi on Japanese Official Development Assistance Loan for the
- Project for the Construction of Chennai Peripheral Ring Road (Phase 1) for JPY 40.074 billion (Rs.2470 Crore approx.), and
- Program for Japan-India Cooperative Actions towards Sustainable Development Goals in India for JPY 15.000 billion (Rs.950 Crore approx.).
8.Important Cabinet Approvals: 23rd January 2019
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given the following set of approvals.
- The important Cabinet Approvals are given as follows:
- MoC between India and Japan in the field of Food Processing Industry.
- Extension of Delhi Metro corridor from Dilshad Garden to New Bus Adda Ghaziabad
- MoU between India and Kuwait for cooperation on the Recruitment of Domestic Work.
- Amendment to the ‘Framework on Currency Swap Arrangement for SAARC Member Countries’ to incorporate ‘Standby Swap’ amounting to USD 400 million operated within the overall size of the facility.
- Creation of the National Bench of the Goods and Services Tax Appellate Tribunal (GSTAT).
9.India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference begins in Mumbai
- India Steel 2019 Exhibition and Conference had begun in Mumbai.
- The three-day event organized by the Ministry of Steel helped chart out the future growth path of the steel industry.
- The event provided an opportunity for all the stakeholders to deliberate and identify ways to contribute towards building a robust roadmap for the further growth of the steel sector.
- More than 10 thousand business visitors both from India and abroad are expected to visit.
10.Facebook to set up Institute for AI Ethics with initial investment Of $7.5 million
- Social media giant Facebook announced that it will create an independent Institute for Ethics in Artificial intelligence (AI) with an initial investment of $7.5 million over a period of five years.
- Technical University of Munich (TUM) in Germany will collaborate with this project which aims to explore fundamental issues affecting the use and impact of AI.
- The Institute will address issues that affecting the use and impact of AI such as Safety, Privacy, Fairness, and transparency.
- TUM was ranked 6th in the world for AI research by the Times Higher Education magazine in 2018.
11.India ranks 80th on Global Talent Competitiveness Ranking: survey
- India has moved up one position to rank 80th on the global talent competitive index, but remains a laggard among the BRICS nations.
- Switzerland continues to top the list, released on the first day of the World Economic Forum (WEF) Annual Meeting at Davos by INSEAD business school in partnership with Tata Communications and Adecco Group.
- The top 3 countries in the list are:
3. The United States.
12.PM Modi launched Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 22, 2019 launched the Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojana under which a group of Indian diaspora will be taken on a government-sponsored tour of religious places in India twice a year.
- The first batch of 40 Indian-origin people are at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas and they would be beginning their tour from there.
- The group will be taken to the religious places of all major religions in India.
- The tour would be completely government sponsored, as the government will bear all the expenses including the airfare from their country of residence.
- Under the eligibility criteria, all people of Indian-origin, aged between 45 and 65 can apply and a group will be selected out of them.
- The first preference will be given to people from 'Girmitiya countries' such as Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.
13.MP Anurag Thakur honoured with Sansad Ratna award
- Himachal Pradesh MP Anurag Thakur has been bestowed with Sansad Ratna Award for his distinguished performance as a parliamentarian under Jury Committee Special Award category.
- Thakur became the first BJP MP to receive the Jury Committee award.
- 12 parliamentarians were honored with the Sansad Ratna award.
- The Sansad Ratna Award was set up & launched in 2010 by Former President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
14.Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’
- Indian Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba commissioned the new Naval Air Base ‘INS Kohassa’ at Diglipur in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- The airbase will be used to handle operations of helicopters and small aircraft like the Dornier.
- The new airbase in the northernmost part of the Andaman Nicobar Islands will be used for both Defence and civil aircraft.
15.India among the most trusted nations globally: Report
- India is among the most trusted nations globally when it comes to government, business, NGOs and media.
- The 2019 Edelman Trust Barometer report, noted that the Global Trust Index witnessed a marginal increase of 3 points to 52.
- China topped the Trust Index among both the informed public and the general population segments.
- India was at the 2nd place in the informed public category and 3rd place in the general population category.
- The findings are based on an online survey in 27 markets covering over 33,000 respondents.
- In terms of trust in companies headquartered in each market, the most trusted are those from Switzerland, Germany, and Canada.
16.DRDO launches long range surface to Air Missile off Odisha Coast
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully test fired Long Range Surface to Air Missile (LR-SAM) from naval warship INS Chennai.
- The test was conducted off the coast of Odisha.
- The LR-SAM hit a low flying aerial target during the test.
17.Sultan Abdullah elected new Malaysian King
- Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah was elected as Malaysia’s new king by the members of the country’s royal families.
- The 59-year-old was earlier appointed the Sultan of the Malaysian state of Pahang.
- He replaced Sultan Muhammad V of Kelantan, who stepped down recently, making it the first abdication in Malaysia’s history.
18.Individuals with Rs 5 lakh income exempted from income tax
- The Finance Minister, Piyush Goyal announced relief for the common man in the middle income group.
- He proposed that individuals having an income of upto five lakh rupees will have not have to pay any tax.
- There will be no change in the existing rates or slabs of Income Tax for the financial year 2019-20.
- Even persons having a gross income upto 6.5 lakh rupees may not be required to pay any income tax if they make investments in Provident Funds and specified savings and insurance.
- Gratuity limit has also been increased to 30 lakh rupees.
19.Sugarcane juice declared ‘national drink’ of Pakistan
- The Pakistan government declared sugarcane juice as the “national drink” of the country.
- The announcement came after the government conducted a Twitter poll.
- People were asked to decide on the country’s national drink with two other options i.e. orange and carrot.
- According to the poll, 7,616 people or 81 per cent cast their votes favouring sugarcane juice, 15 percent voted for orange juice while 4 percent chose carrot.
20.Oxford chooses ‘Nari Shakti’ as Hindi word of 2018
- Oxford dictionaries Saturday declared “Nari Shakti” as the Hindi word for the year 2018.
- The announcement was made during a session at the ongoing Jaipur Literature Festival (JLF) at the Diggi Palace.
- According to the Oxford dictionaries, the word has been derived from Sanskrit and is used today to symbolise women “taking charge of their lives”.
- March 2018 recorded a large spike in the use of ‘Nari Shakti’ as discussion arose around the Government of India’s Nari Shakti Puraskar.
21.Saina Nehwal wins Indonesia Masters 2019
- Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal won her first Indonesia Masters title after three-time world champion Carolina Marin limped out of the final due to a leg injury.
- Marin was leading 10-4 in the first game at Jakarta when she developed an injury in the knee.
- Saina had won a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games, a bronze at the Asian Games.
22.Union Minister Gadkari inaugurates Atal Setu in Goa
- Union Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated, 5.1-kilometer long “Atal Setu” bridge across river Mandovi in Panaji, Goa.
- It would be third such bridge to connect the state capital with North Goa.
- The bridge is constructed by the GIDC (Goa Infrastructure Development Corporation) and engineering and construction major Larsen and Toubro.
- The link will decongest Panaji to a great extent, as approximately 66,000 vehicles enter the capital city every day.
23.Telangana to set up 'Save Tiger Protection Force'
- The Telangana government has decided to form a 'State Tiger Protection Force' to save the Big Cat population in the State.
- The 112-member-armed STPF will be headed by an Assistant Conservator of Forests to protect tiger population in Amarabad and Kawal Tiger Reserves.
- The State Forest Protection Committee headed by Chief Secretary S K Joshi took the decision to form the STPF at its meeting.
- The Committee decided to act tough against those felling forest trees and committing other related crimes.
- Cases under the Preventive Detention Act would be registered against violators.
24.Uttarakhand’s first tulip garden in Pithoragarh
- Uttarakhand’s first tulip garden will come up over 50 hectares of forest land in Pithoragarh district.
- The garden will be developed by the ONGC, under its corporate social responsibility programme in over 50 hectares of forest land near Chandak hill top.
- The proposed tulip garden will be the country’s second after the one located in Srinagar (J&K).
- The government will import tulip bulbs from Holland that blooms from mid March to May.
25.Dubai Airport Retains its Position as World’s Busiest in 2018
- Dubai International Airport has retained its position as the world’s busiest airport for the fifth consecutive year in a row in 2018.
- It overtook the crown of the world’s busiest hub for international travel from London’s Heathrow in 2014.
- Indian travellers emerging as the largest source of traffic for the airport with a total of more than 12.2 million travellers.
26.PM Modi dedicates National Salt Satyagraha Memorial to the nation
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated National Salt Satyagraha Memorial to the nation at Dandi village in South Gujarat.
- At the memorial site, he also unveiled statues of Mahatma Gandhi and 80 Satyagrahis who had marched with him during the historic Dandi Salt March in 1930.
- The memorial also has 24-narrative murals depicting various events and stories from the historic 1930 Salt March.
- The Salt Satyagraha March, well known as the Dandi March of 1930 has been a landmark event in the history of India’s freedom struggle.
- On this day, Satyagrahis led by Mahatma Gandhi marched 241-miles from Sabarmati Ashram to the coastal village of Dandi and made salt from seawater breaking the Salt Law.
27.Suman Kumari becomes Pakistan’s first Hindu woman judge
- Suman Kumari has become the first Hindu woman in Pakistan to be appointed as a civil judge.
- Suman, who hails from Qambar-Shahdadkot, will serve in her native district.
- The first judge from the Hindu community was Justice Rana Bhagwandas, who served as the acting chief justice for brief periods between 2005 and 2007.
- Hindus make up nearly 2% of Pakistan’s total population and Hinduism remains the second largest religion in Pakistan after Islam.
28.Yes Bank appoints Ajai Kumar as interim MD and CEO
- Yes Bank has appointed Ajai Kumar as the interim Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Bank has appointed him as Rana Kapoor demits office on January 31.
- Kumar has been the non-executive and non-independent director of the bank since January 2016.
- He will hold the position of interim MD and CEO until Ravneet Gill assumes office as the MD and CEO on March 1, 2019.
29.India and China sign protocol for exports of Indian tobacco leaves to China
- India and China have signed the protocol for exports of Indian tobacco leaves to China.
- Quality tobacco on par with international standards is available in India at competitive prices and there is a good potential for export of Indian tobacco to China.
- The protocol with China will pave the way for revival of Indian tobacco exports to China and prove economically beneficial to Indian farmers.
30.Kartik Sharma wins New South Wales men’s Amateur Golf Championship
- India’s Kartik Sharma won the New South Wales men’s Amateur Golf Championship in Australia.
- Kartik notched up a magnificent win over Australia’s Nathan Barberie in the scheduled 36-hole final to emerge as champion.
- He had been selected to represent Indian Golf Union for three events in Australia.
- Kartik had also won the Indian golf union western India amateur golf championship 2018.
31.World’s biggest cyclothon ‘Swasth Bharat Yatra’ culminates in Delhi
- The Swasth Bharat Yatra, the world’s biggest cyclothon to push people to eat right, culminated in New Delhi.
- The campaign was flagged-off on 16th October last year on the occasion of World Food Day.
- The yatra began from six different locations - Leh, Panaji, Thiruvananthapuram, Puducherry, Kolkata and Agartala on six different tracks.
- This yatra is a part of the Eat Right India movement.
32.India ranks 6th in GDPR readiness index
- India ranked sixth leading nation globally in the GDPR readiness index, according to latest ranking released by global networking leader Cisco.
- Nearly 65 per cent of Indian organisations are better prepared for the European Union’ General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
- The GDPR focused on increasing protection for EU residents’ privacy and personal data, came into force in May 2018.
33.Madhya Pradesh announces ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for poor urban youth
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath announced the launch of the ‘Yuva Swabhiman Yojana’ for youths from the economically weaker sections in urban areas.
- Under this scheme, 100 days of employment will be provided to youths from economically weaker sections in urban areas.
- They will also be given skill training.
- The urban poor youth are left out as those in rural areas get employment under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA). This scheme will effectively cover urban youth.
34.Sultan Abdullah sworn in as the new Malaysian King
- Sultan Abdullah Ibni Sultan Ahmad Shah was sworn as the 16th King of Malaysia.
- He was elected after Sultan Muhammad V abdicated the throne earlier this month.
- Malaysia practices the system of a constitutional monarchy.
- According to its Constitution, the King, who represents the country at official events, is elected every five years from among the nine Sultans on a rotational basis.
35.UAE, Saudi central banks launch common digital currency called ‘Aber’.
- The central banks of the UAE and Saudi Arabia have launched a common digital currency called ‘Aber’.
- It will be used in financial settlements between the two countries through Blockchains and Distributed Ledgers technologies.
- Through this digital currency, both the United Arab Emirates Central Bank (UAECB) and the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (SAMA) are studying the impact on the improvement and reduction of remittance costs and the assessments of risks.
Q1. Who among these won ITF’s tournament in Singapore ?
Sharm El Sheikh
Q2. The theme of National Girl Child Day 2019 was “____________________” .
Empowering Girls for a Brighter Tomorrow
Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao
Save the Girl Child
Adolescent Girls: Issues and Challenges
Q3. When did Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was established ?
Q4. The Sansad Ratna Award was launched by ?
Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam.
Dr. Manmohan Singh
Q5. First Republic Day of India was celebrated in ?